Wednesday, August 7, 2013

LEADERSHIP



Awhile back, my son asked me if I had any "leadership books" left over in my retirement, as he is studying for a promotional exam at work and thought they might be helpful. I happen to believe my son is one of those "natural" leaders; he just hasn't had the need to think about or explain what he does in the context of being a leader. Having recently moved to Arizona and downsizing considerably in the process-if I have any such books, I can't find them.

This is not to say I never had any; I probably read a couple hundred over the span of my career, as well as working with many of the best leadership consultants in the business. I remember when I took my first job and had a hand-me-down desk with a broken leg--a couple of leadership books held up that corner of the desk just fine. As I was trying think how to be of some assistance, it occurred to me that it might be useful to just summarize the philosophy I came to be comfortable with. It's kind of a collection of things I found from one source or another:mostly just observations of different kinds of leaders over the years. I will leave it to others to judge whether I was a successful leader, but I think we were able to do some good things where I worked.

The single most important factor is a positive organizational culture. Leaders create the culture. Employees that feel good about where they work are more committed and creative, they work harder, they provide better customer service, they attract better employees and they stay longer. What does it take to make employees feel good about where they work? The organization has to have a sense of credibility, competence, and compassion. Everybody should display these traits in a consistent fashion. Even if one's higher-ups don't model the best behaviors, one can still instill a good culture in his/her part of the place.

An organization’s credibility flows from the actions of its leaders. People in those positions simply must do what they say they will do, and there must be no hint of unnecessary secrecy,unfairness, or dishonesty. Rules, procedures, etc. are established and well known.  People know what the consequences of an action are supposed to be, and it is reliably carried out. There are no surprises. Something that begets a slap on the wrist in one case should not result in termination in another case, given similar circumstances. Otherwise, people immediately suspect ulterior motives, personal vendettas, etc. and never trust what those leaders have to say again. 

Decisions and policies are explained. Questions are answered in a consistent, respectful fashion. People are willing to accept an autocratic approach in some obviously time sensitive situations, but generally they want to know that their leaders considered options and chose a direction for a set of specific, logical reasons. They may not agree with the various value judgements involved, but at least they will know the process was not arbitrary or aimed at some personal agenda. Never make promises you aren't positive you can keep.

Competence is more than just knowledge and experience of a job. It is the ability to get things done, by communicating well and often. Leadership competence also encompasses a willingness to learn and a sense of judgment. It includes the ability to make a mistake, learn from it, and continually get better. 

It is a very rare person who can be promoted and immediately know exactly what should be done in every situation that might arise in their new position. However, a person will quickly be considered competent if they know when to ask a question and demonstrate willingness to learn. When there isn't time to ask a question, there is an element of "judgement" that obviously varies from place to place. In some places and situations, good judgement calls for weighing potential actions against things like safety or cost. In others, it might be customer satisfaction or political reality. A competent person instinctively knows which factors should be considered in most situations.

Last, but not least, is the trait of compassion. Far too many organizations in the world today obviously value profits or performance statistics over people. Those few places that do demonstrate that they care about their employees are overwhelmed by job applications from the very best and brightest. Sure, pay is a factor, but much more important is the ability to work with someone to help them get better. To be able to make a mistake, learn from it, and go on. An organization that gives people the benefit of the doubt will ultimately get more from its people than it could possibly hope for otherwise.

Another aspect of compassion is simply that of building a bit of a relationship with others. Recognizing what someone else does well, or asking about the family once in a while makes it easier to occasionally deliver bad news. In any event, people want to think their leaders care enough about them to occasionally listen to what they think, and then to respond with a sense of respect and consideration.

I could probably write about this stuff for quite a while longer, but I think it would just be embellishing the basics I've laid out above. Out of all the books I've read, and all the courses I've taken, it pretty much boils down to these three things. In any event, I know a person who has these traits will be thought a much better leader that someone who is missing one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment