Friday, March 30, 2012

HOW MANY ENGINEERS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHTBULB?



When Ingrid and I were first married, I was a typical single dude. I had spent most of my time either working, reading, or trying to do all that stuff single males in the 1960’s and early 70’s supposedly did. Household maintenance and other do-it-yourself skills were not on the list. Alas, marriage, first home ownership, and lack of money can inspire many regrettable decisions. I became a do-it-yourselfer.
This pastime has served us well more often than not over the years, although I sometimes wonder what my golf handicap would be if I had spent just half the time playing golf that I have lying under sinks in the dark. The usual arguments in favor of DIY are that you can save a lot of money and attain the personal satisfaction of accomplishing a job well done. The actual flip side talking points are too numerous for me to list fully here, but suffice to say that Murphy had to be a DIYer before he wrote down all his laws.
This particular blog is about my recent experience changing a light bulb. I am a registered professional engineer with decades of experience. I have a pretty darn complete shop in my basement filled with all kinds of handyman tools and stuff. The mere act of changing a light bulb should be of no particular note, but in retrospect, I feel it serves as an excellent example to any young person out there as to what they should REALLY expect if they decide to become a DIYer.
We have a bunch of stairs that one must climb to get to our front door. Many of our friends are at that age where they are now too lazy to climb stairs, so they often prefer to use the path around the side of our house to the back door. At night, this path is illuminated by one of those motion detecting outdoor security floodlights up on the side of the house. For several weeks, people coming over had been complaining one of the light bulbs was burned out and they couldn’t see well coming up the path. My suggestions that they should use the front steps were ignored.
After an evening of bridge ended with the usual threats of legal action if anybody tripped and broke a leg while heading down the path to their cars, Ingrid laid down the law: “You really need to change that bulb. It’s getting embarrassing.”
The next morning after breakfast, I began. It was a cool sunny day; not altogether unpleasant for such a task, I thought to myself. I surveyed the situation: the light was about 12 feet above the ground up on the side of the house. I would need to get out the folding ladder which was safely stored in the back of the garage behind the luggage carrier, some stuff we are currently storing for my mother-in-law, the snow blower, the dog’s travel kennel, some shovels, two trash cans, some leftover floor tile from another project, a garden sprayer, a power washer in need of repair, and a lawn mower. None of this stuff could be moved until I backed my truck out of the garage to make enough room to relocate it.
Once the garage had been emptied out enough to access the ladder, I lugged it up around the side of the house, unfolded it and placed it securely against the wall. So far, so good. Now all I have to do is get up there and examine the problem bulb. I maintain a good inventory of spare bulbs in my shop, and I had absolutely no doubt that this was going to be a five minute job from this point on. Ah Ha. A PAR 38 Exterior Halogen Floodlight rated at 45 Watts. I buy those in six packs at Lowes. Know just where they are. They are in a cardboard box labeled “light bulbs” up on the shelf above the window in my shop. Down the ladder I went, humming to myself and wondering if Harry would be up for a quick nine holes after I got this done.
Once in my shop, I got up on my stepstool and pulled down the target cardboard box. No light bulbs in there. I must have used the last one and not gotten around to replacing my inventory. Oh well, Ace Hardware is just three miles up the street, and the truck is already in the driveway. No big deal. Off I went to Ace, got a couple of new bulbs (just in case one is bad, it’s rare but it has happened; also, now there would be a spare), and back home.
Back up the ladder. All I had to do now was remove the old bulb, screw in the new one, and reassemble the garage contents. Hmm. Old bulb was kind of stuck, hard to get a good grip in order to unscrew it. Maybe if I grab it this way---#$%#^, I STUCK MY THUMB THROUGH THE COVERING ON THE PHOTOELECTRIC EYE. #$%^&*((()!!!! Now another trip to Ace was in order. Back down the ladder, into the truck, back to Ace for a new light fixture. The checkout lady was very happy to see me again, and seemed to be a bit smug. I have had several projects that involved multiple experiences with her in one day, and she can be irritating.
Back home, back up the ladder. I had carefully turned off the power switch and put tape over it to keep anyone from inadvertently trying to electrocute me while I was working (lesson learned from another project). I removed the cover plate, undid the wire nuts, and came back down the ladder. Unpackaged the new light, organized the necessary tools, tape, etc. in my pockets and went back up. By this time, Ingrid had come out to assess my progress and offer her help. I assured her I had it under control, but she stayed around to watch anyway.
Things were going well now. I got all the wires connected with wire nuts and wrapped them with electrical tape just for an extra touch of professional detail. I then tightened down the screws and replaced the cover. All I needed to do next was insert the bulbs and adjust the angles so they were focused on the pathway our friends insisted on using. These particular fixtures had two bulbs, each in a socket arm that had adjustable hinges. To change the angle or direction of focus, one has to loosen a wing nut on the hinge, turn it to the desired angle, and then retighten the wing nut to hold it in place. First bulb arm, fine. Working on second one. Wing nut is a little stiff—just a little more snug, one quarter more turn---Ingrid says “not too tight!!!”. @##$^#$&%$%^*&(.!!! WING NUT BROKE OFF!!!
A little disturbed at the fact that I broke it off despite Ingrid’s warning, I recovered quickly. No problem, I assured her; I’ll just use a nut from the old fixture. After fooling with it for a few minutes up on top of the ladder, I determined this approach was not going to work for some reason. It would be necessary to completely remove the new fixture and get it down on the ground where I could see what the deal was inside where the wing nut is supposed to screw in. It was disheartening to undo all the fine professional quality work I had done connecting it up, but it had to be done.
Once I was back down on the ground, I took it back to my shop so I could at least listen to the radio while figuring this out. I quickly determined what the problem was: the hole into which the wing nut was supposed to screw was in the part that held the bulb socket. This part was cast from aluminum, and apparently I broke off the part of the casting that contained the screw hole. $^%*%(&). Another trip to ACE was in order. I was not looking forward to another exchange with the cash register lady.
Suddenly it hit me: I’ll just use one of the bulb arms from the old fixture; they are identical to the new ones anyway. As you might expect, this turned out to be a little trickier than one might think at first glance. All the wires running through the little tunnel in each bulb arm to the socket were connected together with those factory quality wire nuts that are not meant to EVER come undone. They had to be cut out, and the socket from the old arm transferred into the new one. OK.
Although I would never directly admit it to Ingrid, sometimes my eyesight up close isn’t quite what it used to be, especially in dim lighting. The socket had a little hole in the bottom which was intended for a very small screw to go through it in order to secure the socket to the bulb holder. I had to dig out a jeweler’s screwdriver to fit the screw, and then you couldn’t see the hole in the bulb holder casting because of the socket. I wound up using a desktop floodlamp and a head light (like you see people wearing while they walk their dogs at night). Still couldn’t get the screw to start in the threaded hole in the casting. I was convinced it should work; after all, the screw had just come out of that very hole. It HAD to be the right size; I was just not getting it in there at the right angle or something.
An hour later, Ingrid wondered into my shop to see what I was doing. By this time, I was red in the face. I gently and patiently explained my challenge to her, and she says: “why don’t you try a longer screw?” My immediate reaction was to poo-poo her suggestion, as the screw I was fiddling with had in fact come out of that very hole—it had to be the right one! She says, “is it the same socket?”
Hmmm…… Well, no…….. No, it is not. I was trying to put the new socket into the old fixture arm. I dug around for the screw that had come out of the new fixture arm and gave it a try--started perfectly the first time. Apparently, it was just a little longer than the one I had been working with and could now actually reach the first threads in the hole casting. Properly humbled, I got the thing back together very quickly from that point and went back up the ladder, redid all my professional quality wire connections, buttoned it up and flipped the switch: Success!
Total project summary: one bulb changed. Cost: $36.47 plus two trips to ACE. Only four hours of my time. Could have cost more if not for my brilliant idea to switch sockets in the bulb arms, so I guess I saved some money after all. Still, I felt very little satisfaction in a job well done.


No comments:

Post a Comment